Friday, May 22, 2009

Puck Delivers

One weather pattern on the Polish Baltic includes really nice mornings and evenings, and gnarly cold, cloudy afternoons. This has been the pattern for the past few days, and as I write the weather is the nicest it's been all day, not a cloud in the sky.



Nice Baltic weather

From the weather now, you wouldn't know it had been cold, overcast, and blowing 25-30 all afternoon. We had four races today, as was planned on the schedule. It was a long, chilly, and grueling day and everyone is really tired. I am pretty comfortable with board handling in the big breeze, but I'm not going very fast. My focus is trying to fix my upwind technique, which is a detriment to my finishes.

I am borrowing a Garmin GPS / heart rate monitor, a few of which were given to the US Sailing Center in Miami by the USOC. At the end of the day, I had sailed for 4 hours (1 race / hour shows you how efficient the RC is) burned 3230 calories in that time, had a max heart rate of 170 (where you are during interval training) and top speed 27.5 mph. That's a lot of work! We are looking forward to 40, yes, 40 knots tomorrow with the same schedule. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment